Are you also facing the same dilemma that every other enterprise is facing? Don’t worry we have the solution ðŸ™‚
What is OpenShift 2.0?
OpenShift 2 is a Red Hatâ€™s open source, auto scaling, Platform as a Service (PaaS). It is based on an architecture that involves; Linux Broker, Linux Node and Windows Node. It uses gears and cartridges to create applications and supports one-click deployment for various applications based on frameworks as; rails, JavaEE, Django etcâ€¦ and languages like; Java, PHP, ruby etc.
OpenShift 2 is open source and extensible, so using the origin version of OpenShift 2, Â you can create your own PaaS on your hardware.
How to run Windows in Red Hat Linux/OpenShift 2 environment?
There are two ways to do that;
- Install and extend the OpenShift 2 solution to run Microsoft based Application. Like what Uhuru tried to achieve in the past. The project was later taken over by Click2Cloud Inc. and made successful. You can download the latest code from Git and customize it for your needs; https://github.com/Click2Cloud/openshift-dotnet-installer
- Simply use Click2Cloudâ€™s Enterprise Ready â€˜OpenShift.NET Development Tool Kitâ€™
Click2Cloud’s OpenShift 2 .Net Architecture
Click2Cloudâ€™s OpenShift.NET Development Kit, Â helps you set up the OpenShift environment, having; Linux Broker, Linux Node and Windows Node. The Windows Node Installer (packaged in OpenShift.NET Development Kit) allows you to install Windows Node on Linux environment of Red Hat OpenShift 2 PaaS. It is also supplied with .NET and MS SQL Cartridges to create, manage and run .NET applications in Linux environment.
If this news has excited you, then wait, there is some more to it. Click2Cloudâ€™s OpenShift.NET Development Tool Kit has a Dev-Ops Extension; Visual Studio 2012+ Dev-Ops Extension. This extension allows you to connect to your OpenShift 2 environment from your Microsoft Visual Studio IDE and helps you create, manage and deploy .Net application to OpenShift 2 Cloud.
Developers donâ€™t need to leave their IDE, which saves substantial time and energy. Also, the code can be stored on the local machine and debugged before publishing to staging and production environment, which is helpful for developers.
With this OpenShift.NET Development Tool Kit, Enterprise can create their own OpenShift 2 Cloud within their premise and also on Microsoft Azure, AWS and all the other IaaS platforms.
The OpenShift.NET Development Tool Kit comes with various cartridges for OpenShift 2 and plugin. The cartridges provide the runtime environment to build and run the applications.
- Windows Node Installer
- .NET 4.5 Cartridge
- .NET 4.6 Cartridge for OpenShift 2
- Win DIY Cartridge
- FOX Web 4.6.3 Cartridge
- SharePoint 2013 Cartridge
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Cartridge
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Cartridge
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Cartridge
- Visual Studio 2012+ DevOps Plugin
If you face any issue, please feel free to contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org or ring at +1 425 749 7495. We have a dedicated support team ready to help you.
You may also be interested in reading;
Red Hatâ€™s blogs explaining OpenShift 2 and .Net integration;
- OpenShift IDE Integration – https://blog.openshift.com/openshift-ecosystem-ide-integration/
- Microsoft .NET Apps on OpenShift – https://blog.openshift.com/microsoft-dot-net-on-openshift/
And trying your hands on extensions at Microsoft Visual Studio Extension Gallery