OpenSDS is an open source community working to address storage integration challenges, particularly in scale-out cloud native environments with heterogeneous storage platforms.
In OpenSDS, there is a problem occurring in synchronization and storage of large amount of data. The object storage migration between different cloud resources is one of the major problem statements. This problem overcome with the help of multi-cloud feature.
With multi-cloud an organization get leverages of two or more cloud computing platforms to perform various tasks. Organizations that do not want to depend on a single cloud provider may choose to use resources from several providers to get the best benefits from each unique service.
In a multi-cloud environment, there is as such no synchronization required among vendors for computation process. Multi-cloud offers the distribution of several cloud-assets, software, applications, and so forth among different cloud-hosting platforms.
The OpenSDS community has announced the Bali release which is the 2nd version of open source software for software-defined storage control. The Bali release feature supports the multi-cloud data storage over a single S3 object with REST API among multiple clouds. This feature of Bali release helped cloud providers to get the right cloud resources from different providers. For object storage migration the need of multi-cloud comes into picture in OpenSDS.
Object storage manipulates data in form of objects and units. Object storage is used to store large amount of data, unstructured data which contains images, videos, files, downloads because it provides a large capacity to store the data. Object storage saves the data in the form of object.
- S3 API support with AWS, Azure, Huawei Cloud, and local Ceph object store and Fusion Storage backends.
- Manual and basic policy-based migration for AWS, Azure, Huawei Cloud, Ceph, Fusion Storage.
Multi-Cloud Architecture Diagram:
For multi-cloud data engine, the team designed the architecture diagram that provide the ability to migrate data across multiple clouds. The multi-cloud architecture diagram defines the concept of multi-cloud in OpenSDS clearly. Here we are going to see the Multi-cloud architecture diagram and its significance. The below mention diagram is the architecture diagram of multi-cloud.
The multi-cloud architecture includes the following components:
- Identity Service: Identity Service is used for authentication and authorization.
- S3 Service: It contains the S3 controller which communicates with the database and object storage backends on premise or in the cloud, handles S3 API requests, return results to the caller. To convert the location of an object passed in from API into the actual location on the object storage S3 service uses LocationMapper.
- Backend Service: This service communicates with the backend on premise or in the cloud to confirm the information about the bucket. Also, backend service manages object storage backends on premise or in the cloud.
- Dataflow service: Dataflow service is use for data migration.
- Data Mover: This is using to move the data from one location to another location.
- Database: Database is used to save the information that is present on other resources of multi-cloud data engine.
- Backend Adapter: To support and communicates with backend management like AWS, Backend Adapter is use.
- The multi-cloud architecture offers numbers of reasons to deploy into it which often results into reducing reliance on single vendor, increasing flexibility, cost-efficiency, adherence to local policies and a lot more.
- User use multi-cloud data engine to move data to a location near to where it is needed for convenience. Data can be moved to different location depending on usage, age, access frequency.
- Multi-cloud data engine allows data to be available and accessible all the time. In the case where one cloud is down, user can still have access to data in another cloud that is up and running.
- Multi-cloud data engine provides policy-based data mobility across public and private clouds. These public and private clouds can be used in the following cases:
- User may want to upload some datasets to the public cloud for data analysis and delete the data after the work is complete.
- User can leverage multi-cloud data engine to move data to the public cloud for high CPU computing when that is required for a period.
- Frequently accessed data can be stored on-premise. Data not accessed for a long time can be stored in archival storage in public cloud.
SAN FRANCISCO, Feb.1, 2019/ PRNewswire/– The Linux Foundation, the non-profit advancing professional open source management for mass collaboration, announced that Click2Cloud have joined the OpenSDS Project.
Click2Cloud has committed to extend the OpenSDS capabilities for Data Storage and Migration for a Multi-Cloud Design and Multi-Cloud Providers. Also, added the adapter for Ceph and GCP for S3 compatible interfaces. Further added the data mover interfaces for Ceph backend and GCP backend which helps to perform the migration as well.
Previously in OpenSDS, during object storage migration scenario user faced the problem of storage the large amount of data which is overcome by OpenSDS Bali new release of multi-cloud concept which provides multiple storage of data and security over a single S3 object with REST API among multiple clouds.